Greenville Rec run & kids dash race report




Greenville Rec run 5k & kids dash race review
   "Ahhhh to be a newbie runner again...." If you have ever uttered those words fret not, I have found a way! The secret is, and don't tell everyone now...don't run for almost 3 weeks and then try a race! I got to try this theory out this past weekend, and was most definitely left wondering where any of my speed and stamina had gone. 
   A few weeks ago I was wondering why my unique, awkward, interpretive dance style of bowlegged running was hurting more than usual. A quick Internet search of a Russian Wikipedia knock off informed me that I had a stress fracture in my right foot. While I had full intentions to run on it anyway, my apathy for all things that require effort, plus the realization that if I pushed it it would take longer to heal anyway won out in the end. So, I decided to rejoin the racing world slowly with a "kids dash" held at a local park with some trails.  Upon arrival at the race I was informed that as a "grown man" I would not be allowed to enters the kids dash, but I would be allowed to join the 5k. A quick cursory glance around proved that so far,  every other person at the race was four feet tall at the max, the oldest looking to be seven years of age, giving me a small edge. I turned back and told the woman behind the table "I'm in!"  
Afterwards he demanded my lunch money.

   While we stretched and warmed up I looked around again and suddenly the children seemed to have morphed from little and cute into tiny, steroid using, 4 minute mile running German über-competitors - and is that one chain smoking?!? I began to get a bit nervous as we were called to the start line when another terrifying thought hit me. This. Is. Their. Playground.  Good god, I thought, they know every step, root and hole here! I don't stand a chance! The malevolent look the kids shot me on the start line seemed to confirm my suspicions. 
  The sound of the race director yelling "GO!" snapped me back to reality and we took off. The first loop is a combination of sidewalk and grass where I realized that while I had been worried about the genetically altered super children I was racing against, actual adults representing a few different universities and local running clubs had jumped into the race. At last, someone I can lose to with some dignity. We raced in a large loop around the park's large indoor sports complex and two baseball fields and began our sprint back towards the first trail entrance. I did a quick mental check and my foot felt fine and my right knee, which I had injured the previous week, seemed to be staying in check. So far so good. 
   I had run these particular trails before and knew how much they twisted and turned making it impossible to see how far anyone was ahead of you so I was surprised when I popped out of one of them to see that the lead four or five contenders were only about a quarter mile or so ahead of me. Looking back I was equally surprised to find out that everyone else was about the same quarter mile distance behind me. This was definitely new. There was the usual distinction of the elite runners and everyone else, but somehow a third class had been created: me. I mused over this as we came out of the trails, our feet now pounding grass instead of dirt, and headed once again around the baseball fields and complex to start our second and final loop. 


artist's rendering of the start line
    While I was wondering exactly how hard it might be to try to close the gap between myself and the elites; (fully aware that every runner right behind me was contemplating the same thing about me) my lungs and legs gave me my answer: Not. Happening. Taking two and a half weeks off without any intensive cardio or speed work to supplement had taken its toll as I watched as the gap between us widen while the gap between myself and the other runners remained the same. 
    The quick trip around the complex remained uneventful in terms of any change between any other runner and myself. As I hit the trail mouth again I turned my head to look behind me and noticed that I still kept a good distance from the closest runner. I tired once again to surge forward with hopes of at least bettering my time and again my legs refused to go. The feeling was strange. It was if they were elderly dementia patients who had forgotten that, at least at one time, they could go faster than this. I urged them on, and they responded with the biological equivalent of "Get off my lawn."  
      I rounded out the trails again with no one in sight in front or behind and with a half mile to go I began to wonder exactly why I was really pushing. No way to catch the elites; no one is going to close the gap behind me...how hard do I really need to run this? I decided to jog it in and finish this race up and as my foot hovered over the timing mat at the finish line preparing to step down I saw a foot STOMP down clearly in front of mine as a runner from the the University of Kentucky sped past me to beat me by milliseconds. 
    I stood gape-mouthed for just a moment and then grinned and clapped my hands as I walked over to shake his hand. "Well played sir, well played!" I said, still smiling and clapping. "Thanks," he responded breathing hard, "I was chasing your purple shirt the entire race...left my dad somewhere back there." This guy's smile, hard breathing and the camaraderie between us literally seconds after we had competed against each other reminded me of why I should always push harder. Because its about giving your best and leaving it all out there, be it track, trail or road, it's obnoxious to everyone else there to give anything less than everything. 
    Afterwards as we waited for the awards to be announced, I was able to catch up with another runner I had raced against a month or so ago. We exchanged times, remarked how we had both done several minutes better in the previous race when the runner who closed the gap on me in the final seconds walked up. "Hey Dad." Dad?  My eyebrows popping slightly. I laughed again as I told a proud father how his son had bested me at the last second of the race. We talked for a few more minutes and they both agreed to give me a chance at redemption in an upcoming Bright Night 5k race this next Saturday  All three of my avid readers will remember this as the day I horrified hundreds and scarred women and children alike by racing in a dress for charity. 

Admittedly, getting in the children's face and yelling
"WHAT?!? I'M IN YOUR HOUSE NOW!!"
Might have been a bit excessive.

    

   
   I talked with a few other people, meeting a few for the first time who I had previously only talked with on Facebook,  when my name was called out as first place male in my age division. With a little surprise, and a LOT of new found humility I stepped forward to accept my medal and prize. While great to receive, I'm more glad for the people I was able to meet and for the inspiration this race handed me. I'll be taking it all to next week's race where I'll try to set a new pr and without question leave it all out on the course. 







Thanks again for reading, and as always, ANY advice for this newbie runner is always appreciated! Here's to all of you out there crushing the roads, trails, tracks and especially the ones cheering at the finish line! (We appreciate you more than you know.)



surprise previous blog reference eye mugging! 


Comments

  1. thank you sir! As long as someone is entertained by this thing I'll keep doing it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts