Our first shoe review! (Spoiler alert: It's a boy!)

The daughter I never knew about

  I understand that using the word 'our' in the title could be confusing here. Please understand that I am using it in the royal sense of the word. (I feel like I've earned it somehow) Rest assured that you are still reading the misadventures of a guy who started running a few years ago and, to date, still has no idea what he is doing.

   With Medoc barely a month away and the Cold Water Rumble not too far behind it I decided that investing in a good pair of trail shoes wasn't such a bad idea.

    Last year I ran Medoc in the Brooks Pure line trail shoe, the Pure Grit. The Grit is an adequate shoe, and it served me fine during the race, but I did find myself (and others) complaining about the lack of ankle support. (Is that even a thing?) It felt like someone had reduced my ankles to the size of tooth picks and that they would roll easily if I decided to make any movement beyond imitating the straight lines of a Tron style race. It wasn't until a later race that I would discover the Grit's true fatal flaw: traction on wet surfaces. More properly, its lack of.

The Pure Grit designer on his morning commute 

  The real problem with the Brooks Pure Grit is that if encounters any moisture whatsoever it makes the runner go from racing elite to looking more like a drunk toddler on a slip and slide. While last year's Medoc Trail Races were completely dry with the exception of a few wooden bridges, I didn't really want to take the chance this year. Looking at the upcoming Cold Water Rumble course reviews, most people said that their biggest challenge was not the elevation, the fact that they were running in a desert, or even the fact that it was an ultra race, but the rocks which were persistently littered through the 50 plus mile course. Review after review mentioned the rocks which seemed to reach through shoes to poke into runners feet.

   These factors, plus the fact that I have the leg strength of a malnourished Ethiopian child, set the bar for what I was looking for in a trail shoe. Good traction on all surfaces, able to handle moderately tough terrain and rocks, while at the same time being light weight. (preferably under 10 oz.) Through some sci-fi future tech and perhaps some gypsy magic, one company seems to have delivered all this in one package. The Pearl Izumi  E:motion N1 trail shoe.

Not fresh dew! My race is over!!
   After hearing about the company from a friend living in the Colorado area, (Pearl Izumi is based out of Louisville, CO.) I hopped online to try to find some non biased shoe reviews. To my surprise I had trouble finding anyone with anything bad to say about the N1. Every review seemed to be filled with overwhelming praise for the N1. "It's the best shoe I've ever worn!" "Perfect trail shoe!" "It never pressured me on our first date!"

   I was hesitant to order online, as my unruly hobbit feet have been known not to fit many a standard shoe. However, after a month of searching and not being able to find any Pearl Izumi shoe to try on, I bit the bullet and ordered them online. Upon arrival I gleefully examined the box, (because everyone knows the box is the the true test of a shoe's merit.) and then held them in my hands with the wild abandon of a child with a new puppy.

   Eager to try them out, not to mention break them in a little bit before October's trail race, I took them out for a run that night. Unfortunately, there aren't any real trails close to where I live, with the exception of one which is so technical it really shouldn't be run by yourself, let alone in the dark at night. So, on that nights run I decided that if I couldn't run a trail, I would do the next best thing and tackle every neighbors nicely manicured lawn to replicate "the trail."

    Overall the shoe was comfortable and handled itself well on its 10 mile maiden voyage. Surprisingly, I felt better running on the grass and any loose rocks I could find than I did running the roads in the trail N1. (I know, I know, its a trail shoe.) Knowing that this run wasn't going to be any real test of the shoe, I waited another month and headed up to visit another friend / runner who's backyard happens to lead into a very rocky, very hilly trail in Umstead park in Raleigh, North Carolina. (Read more about running in the park here

Because this, and this.... are pretty much the same thing.

   Before we started out he warned me about how sharp the rocks were and the fact that they came in all sizes. Combine that with continual rise and fall of the trails and I don't think I could have devised a better test for the N1s myself. Here's the breakdown of what followed:

Handeling (curves, climbs, descents): The N1s took it all in stride, giving me plenty of traction to pull my body up the hill, take turns, and slow down when needed. All without feeling like I was going to slip or break an ankle at any point. While the shoe isn't as soft or as 'minimal' as my usual shoes, the stiffness I initially felt while holding the shoe wasn't even noticeable while running. It is however pliable enough to make a guy like me (who hates the stiff, thick soled shoes) very happy while running.

Sizing: The Pearl Izumi has a glove like fit around the foot with plenty of room in the toe box. (Without getting sloppy) ...As long as you order a half size up. I ordered mine with that in mind and found the sizing perfect for my feet.

Feel: As far as the rocks went, just looking at them it is obvious the would have destroyed my feet had I run in my normal Brooks Pure Connect shoes. However, in the Pearls I didn't even realize they were there. I felt like I was gliding along on smooth surfaces the entire time and barely felt the change from trail rock to pavement. The upper part of the shoe is also very breathable, and this is one of the first times I've run in the summer heat and not been squishing in my own sweat by the time I hit mile 10.

Weight:  Coming in at 9.5 oz for my size the Pearl Izumis are light weight enough that by the end of your run you don't feel like you're dragging anvils along on your feet. 

Price: I found these for around $90 via amazon.com, but the average price seems to run around $115 on most other online retailers. Having now run in the shoes, and depending on how they hold up, I would be willing to spend the full amount.

Not anvils 

Overall:  With a light weight, a low heel drop, nice breathability, and just enough shoe to make sure your foot can  handle just about any terrain, the Pearl Izumi E:motion trail N1is a winner. I'm looking to continue running and racing in this shoe. I'll keep you all updated on handle they handle the race scene. (I know you're on the edge of your seats.) For right now I'm giving it 4 out of 5 burritos. (Because kindergardeners get stars.) 




Don't believe me? Don't like my review? Wondering why I'm still asking questions? Wondering why you're still reading them? The video below by the Ginger Runner might help you with the first two anyway. Here's his review of the N1 Trail I stumbled on to. As always, thanks for reading and don't forget that you can find us on facebook at www.facebook.com/CrazyPeopleWithNiceShoes. More race reviews, Medoc training, and even more product reviews (including a new garmin) coming soon!










Comments

Popular Posts